Digest Posts 0
Credits 31242
Posts 2047
Karma 30872
Acceptance 7393
Reading Access 150
Registered 1-12-2010
Status Offline
Post at 30-3-2021 20:26  Profile Blog P.M. 
Font size: S M L
"reading" G-Diary for Japanese guys mongering in BKK giggles

G-Diary has been around for decades. It used to be in print form, and you could find free copies in places around Bangkok's "Japanese ghetto": the Phrom Pong/Thong Lo area.

Now with COVID, resident expats in Bangkok are more vital to certain businesses than ever. I don't know how many Japanese expats live in Bangkok, but in the tens of thousands, or more. They've helped shape the monger scene here, but also shopping, eateries, and fashion in the Thai capital.

G-Diary is still published although of course it's online. Here's a collection of recent articles:

https://gdiary.com/blogs/

I can't really read Japanese but can puzzle out the syllabic alphabets, one of which is used mainly for "foreign" words so I can decode some of the ads and titles. For the rest, Google Translate provides a roadmap to what these guys think they're saying. It helps to have some insight into the nature of laddish Japanese-guy writing but it's easier to figure out what the hell is going on than running Thai text through The Mangler.

Reading a few of these, it's clear that the shophouse massage parlors shifted to hotel distribution when the clampdown of Dec/Jan happened, and some are still using that model. Here's my January 11 report on visiting Boss Massage during the lockdown:

https://forum.sex141.com/eforum/viewthread.php?tid=73640

I find it amusing to trawl G-Diary to see the promo and packaging. Want Thai cuties in pink-and-white maid outfits to serve you waffles? Here they are!

https://gdiary.com/blogs/pulaza-nanao04/

One thing I love about BKK is how weird this town can be.

JtB

[ Last edited by  JackTheBat at 30-3-2021 20:28 ]

Recent Ratings
doghead   3-4-2021 04:19  Acceptance  +5   Thanks 4 another perspective. Always thought Bangkok was selling pt to establish many Japanese factories in Thailand.
anabikumi   31-3-2021 11:15  Acceptance  +2   Cosplay can be fun!! ;)
obe   31-3-2021 07:24  Acceptance  +10   Weird can be fun ;)
JackTheBat
Forum Moderator

UID 56406
Digest Posts 0
Credits 31242
Posts 2047
Karma 30872
Acceptance 7393
Reading Access 150
Registered 1-12-2010
Status Offline
Post at 3-4-2021 10:13  Profile Blog P.M. 
Font size: S M L

QUOTE:
Thanks 4 another perspective. Always thought Bangkok was selling pt to establish many Japanese factories in Thailand.

Thanks doghead, Bangkok's selling point is what you mean, right?

I'm always interested in the Japanese diaspora in Bangkok. The first Japanese industrial park opened here in 1971. Think to that period in Asian history: where would you build manufacturing infrastructure in Asia, if you're a Japanese company? China? Viet Nam? Cambodia?

Thailand had the regional political stability at that time. Thai culture is conservative and politeness is prized. It's no coincidence that industrial parks spread across the Ayutthaya Plain--Thailand appreciated the infrastructure, revenue, and worker-training. Within a few decades they were manufacturing precision camera lenses and hard drives in factories there and the Eastern seaboard.

Global business was the selling point, and Thailand was/is the location. Bangkok is the logistical center. Over the decades businesses sprang up to cater to the needs of Japanese expats. Of course the sex business was among them, and it has evolved to the point where now you can visit a cafe where Thai women wearing pink/white maid outfits serve you waffles.

In the absence of international tourists, Japanese expats are more important than ever in terms of Bangkok-based business. It's not a huge segment, but Japanese eateries/supermarkets etc are keeping more than a few Thais employed at the moment. This biz is not highly visible, but we do have G-Diary anyway!

JtB

Recent Ratings
alex_french   3-4-2021 21:09  Acceptance  +5   
obe   3-4-2021 11:51  Acceptance  +10